Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Sun Tzu Art of War Explained > Thirteen: Using Spies

Old 08-30-11, 10:54 AM
Dedicated Sun Tzu Student

You are absolutely correct, educatorart. People - more often than not - reveal much about themselves that they really don't want to. In fact, if they realized all of the personal information they were actually providing to the ASTUTE listener - they simply would stop. However, much to our advantage, they don't realize it until it is too late - if they realize it at all. The art of spying - note that I said ART - is just that. There is simply an art to it and it doesn't come easy to everyone. Much like the various liberal arts, some have the talent for a certain discipline while others don't.

Spying is a very important part of warfare. In fact, it can be essential to victory. It is one of those tools that needs to be taken advantage of at every opportunity that raises its head. It would do those that aspire to be warriors justice if quality time was spent on Sun Tzu's principles concerning the use of spies.

With that said, we need to remember also that not all spies are used for negative purposes and can also be used for good. Remember, just paying attention to your surroundings can be a very subtle form of spying. You can find out your loved ones desires for gifts, i.e., Christmas, birthday, anniversary, etc. Just a thought. In the end, we all spy when we listen to others conversations - intentional or not - we just don't always know what to do with it. Just some thoughts.
Old 10-03-11, 05:18 AM

Smile

I was under impression that its not us who play the role of the spy.Its our awareness of the situation and our wisdom to be able to select the right people as spies, and our ability to distinguish between what type of spies we are dealing with (book mentions 5 kinds of spies) and what category/s of spies would be the most suitable for gathering the intelligence about the opposition in the particular situation.We require the ability to read what type of person we are dealing with,who we want to select as a spy,and be aware of the situation .We can fall in the trap thinking that we just selected a spy to gather the information about opposition,it could be the opposition that sent that particular spy to pass on the false,unreliable information about themselves, or gather information about us.
Theres nowhere that spies cannot be used,the key is selecting the right one.Treating the spy well is as important as selecting the right spy.The ability to change with the spy is important as well, working out the character of the spy and ability to adjust to it is a good skill to have.Art of deception.
just my 2 cents
Im glad i found this forum,my art of war book has been collecting dust for the past couple of years.Its a brilliant book, if understood correctly.I found the right forum to help me.
Thanks.
Old 10-03-11, 05:49 AM
Dedicated Sun Tzu Student

Welcome to the site, Newbiew. I am glad to see you here and welcome your perspective and input.

In answer to your question, you are right concerning the fact that we are not necessarily the one who is holding the role of the spy; however, it is necessary, in my opinion, to know how to correctly recruit, train, and employ a spy. There is no better way of doing that than to have been a spy or at least held that role in some way -- if even to a very minor role -- in the past. The adage: It takes one to know one is useful here. At the least -- you need to know how to "think like a spy." You, as the spy handler, need to have the ability to rightfully discern their motives and know how to "read" them in order to correctly employ them. The employment of a spy is a matter that needs to be seriously considered before it is done.

In today's vernacular, spies could be referred to as confidential sources, cooperating witnesses, snitches, etc., in the law enforcement world. In the business world, they have been referred to as assets, and I have even heard them referred to as someone that provides assets while removing liabilities. Whatever the term used, spies are a valuable resource to be used in warfare and conflict.

You brought out a good point concerning double-agents. That is, in my opionion, one of the most important aspects to guard against when employing spies. That is always a possibility. When recruiting a hostile spy, you should always do your best to "know your enemy" before you move to recruit them. Again, this is someone you are recruiting and not someone that has approached you -- they have to be scrutinized even further in order for you to verify their motives for wanting to aid their former enemy or advesary. Do they want money for their services? Are they driven by their desire for prestige? Do they want to be in "the know"? Their motives are as important -- if not more so -- as their perceived desire to help.

Good perspectives newbiew. Thanks for your input. I look forward to learning more from you.
Old 10-03-11, 10:18 PM

Thank you The Sheepdog.I absolutely agree,you have to think like a spy.
Old 03-06-13, 05:25 PM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshi View Post
There is nowhere that spies cannot be used.
using spies are like opening one's eyes

kinda expensive though and dangerous since spies serve the highest bidder