Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Sun Tzu Art of War Explained > Four: Formation

Old 09-10-11, 08:53 AM
No longer a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sheepdog View Post
Technically, as a strategic thinker, you need to notice the things that others don't. By notice, I mean exactly what it is you said in your post -- see, hear, smell, feel, etc. -- all the things that others find insignificant or useless and then capitalize on them. Strategic thinkers always -- or should always -- try to stay multiple steps ahead of their enemy / competitor.
Superb insights here as always Sheepdog! Perhaps one small additional dimension could be that of understanding others by looking inside of ourselves, and observing ourselves. In challenging times, when we look deeply within ourselves whilst striving to detach ourselves from the emotional aspects of the challenge, we tend to see the situation at a deeper level of clarity. And through this comes a self-understanding that guides one (perhaps as a hunch, or an intuitive feeling or a premonition) in what to do to be a strategic thinker that has an improved chance of staying 'multiple steps ahead of the enemy/competitor', as you so rightly said.
Old 09-26-11, 08:57 AM
Dedicated Sun Tzu Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by educatorart View Post
Superb insights here as always Sheepdog! Perhaps one small additional dimension could be that of understanding others by looking inside of ourselves, and observing ourselves. In challenging times, when we look deeply within ourselves whilst striving to detach ourselves from the emotional aspects of the challenge, we tend to see the situation at a deeper level of clarity. And through this comes a self-understanding that guides one (perhaps as a hunch, or an intuitive feeling or a premonition) in what to do to be a strategic thinker that has an improved chance of staying 'multiple steps ahead of the enemy/competitor', as you so rightly said.
Educatorart, I was recently reading some material dealing with self-examination and remembered your above post. When I came across the following quote, it reminded me of your specific statements above:

An unexamined life is not worth living. -- Socrates.

We grow in understanding by examining our own lives and through that understanding, we are able to help others when that need arises in their lives at some point along their journey. Once we have "been-there-done-that" we can then have that clarity that you spoke of and be able to offer clear, accurate advice to those in need of it -- which is often times ourselves -- further down the road. Experience is a filter by which we remove the things we didn't need from our journey in order to focus on the things that we do -- or did -- need to advance. We can examine ouselves and get rid of the behaviors and life-styles that are destructive and replace them with constructive life-styles that benefit ourselves and those around us. To know thyself is very important to the principles written out within The Art of War. What better way to know youself than through self examination.

With that said, I also believe, as I have said in earlier posts, I do love learning from others experiences. I always determine within myself to have the wisdom to learn from their experiences and not allow all that knowledge to pass me by. I recognize in others those qualities and traits that I would like to express within myself and do my best to adopt them to aid and assist me in my walk of life. I believe that ultimately that is what we are doing through Sun Tzu's writings. We are adopting those traits of a good leader and the principles employed by a great leader and using them to better ourselves today.
Old 09-26-11, 11:11 PM
No longer a member

A wonderful post Sheepdog!

It is indeed ideal to learn from our own past experiences, and to pass those on to others (as well as on to ourselves again later on down the road lest we stray from the path), and to take the insights gained from others and to use them in improving ourselves as well - by sharing things mutually, as we do here on the forum too.

It's the way things should be, in the same manner that 'yin' and 'yang' coexist by virtue of the fact that they are not polar opposite entities but mutually interdependent (with one existing by the fact of the other existing, and the other way around too). Likewise people can best coexist by virtue of their 'differences' since these are also not polar opposites when we think deeply about it, but are mutually interdependent, in a world where no man nor woman is an island but instead rely heavily upon each other for survival and well-being. I therefore absolutely agree with you that sharing in each others insights is greatly beneficial.

I try to apply this notion in the classroom as a teacher by welcoming the fact that education is a two-way process by which students and educators learn from each other in equal measure (in the same way that parents and their children do too). I'm also sure Sun Tzu, as a general, would have been very open to learning from his officers and troops as well.

That's why I really like Lao Tzu's words in the Tao Te Ching: Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. (Verse 33)

Again, great inspirational insights Sheepdog!
Old 11-11-11, 04:42 AM
Subscriber*

Default Mastering oneself

Thankyou for this thread,
Its a real eye opener,
The true power is inside,

It makes me thing of how;
Things stir up & people often look outside,
Something triggered, maybe its fight or flight?
Whether its pointing the finger,blaming or retreat and hide,

Resolution is often in the last place people choose to feel,
It is like the last place one looks to reveal
That there is the power to heal,

It might take a lifetime, it might take a day,
It might be minute, only one person can say
Our question has to pierce the deceptions of our reflections,
For in the depths of our higher selves we are sisters and brothers.
The key is finding a place of peace, of co-existence with eachother.
In oneself.
Old 03-08-13, 06:05 AM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshi View Post
For lifting an autumn down is not considered great strength, seeing the sun and the moon is not considered a sign of sharp vision, hearing thunder is not considered a sign of sensitive hearing.
expand the body