Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Victory Over War

Old 10-15-07, 04:57 PM

Default practice vs theory

does anyone actually practice this philosophy? it seems like a lot of people read it and talk about it but not many do it...
Old 07-02-10, 05:08 AM

I completely agree, especially regarding the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. the blatant chess-like strategy is all too obvious.
Old 07-02-10, 04:19 PM

Default last comment

Isn't it a way of living rather than an active war activity?
Old 07-18-10, 05:16 AM
Founder

Mr. Gimian and his group wrote their books in order to encourage people who simply read to also apply The Art of War. It's not the matter of what other people do but what YOU do.
Old 02-20-12, 09:57 AM
Dedicated Sun Tzu Student

The reality is that a "theory" is merely useless words until it's put into action and tested! It's each individuals choice to make as to whether they believe a theory enough to practice it or not.
Old 02-20-12, 10:40 AM
Sonshi-given title: Honest, smart, family guy (S)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshi View Post
Mr. Gimian and his group wrote their books in order to encourage people who simply read to also apply The Art of War. It's not the matter of what other people do but what YOU do.
This.
Old 01-14-13, 05:58 AM

Theory: When you sit on your butt

practice: When you get off your butt

questions????
Old 01-14-13, 09:27 PM
Sun Tzu Student

I believe they do, although not very well. If you look at successful people around you, you will see those practicing this philosophy even if they have never heard of the AOW. I use it at work and other areas of my life and progress and rewards have been pleasantly rewarding.
What i have found to be extremely difficult is connecting with people who will give actual instances of how they have applied AOW in their lives and what the outcome has been. Instead I know many who all they want to do is discuss or argue over the "finer" points.
I work at a high school in IT support. I replaced the term sovereign with principal or boss, general for me, army for me, terrain was the physical layout and human situations and planned each day and situation accordingly. I have had some humungous successes like turning teachers who hated tech into a readily supportive cheer squad because of the help i was able to offer. I have also alienated other staff members who once they found out i read AOW believed i was some deviate untrustworthy backstabbing Machiavelli. An actual quote from a staff member who benefitted greatly from my application of lessons learned from this book. Gottaluvit.
Overall though, I far better off than if I did not use the principles and wisdom in the book.
Old 01-14-13, 09:34 PM
Sun Tzu Student

If you look around you will see all sorts of people using this philosophy. They are the successful people. Even if they have never heard of the book or the author!
I have used it at work for great success. Applying in regards to my private life has been a little trickier.
The hardest thing is finding people who will detail how they have used it and what the outcomes where instead of just debating the finer points or having a quote-off.
Old 02-10-13, 01:52 PM

I am reminded by the title of this post of Yogi Berra, the Yankees coach famous for turning a word into upon itself, who said...

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."

Philosophy leads to strategy, strategy leads to tactics. In Chess, most games of mid level players are determined by Tactics -- the winning of a major piece will determine who wins the game... Strategy is determining the moves that provide for favorable tactical combinations to arise; a strategic move is one usually taken when there are no real over-riding tactical moves dictated by the situation. If your opponent forces you to respond to a trade of material, then you cannot make a strategic move in it's place.

As the terrain is different for every battle, so tactics are different every time; strategy provides for the discovery of victorious tactics, but technique determines battles. Philosophy is the domain of the monarch and determines what victory actually would be composed of -- and if it is even in the interest of the army to fight.

This is why the first order of the five things needed for a plan of strategy is the Tao.

'Just my two cents -- Webb
Old 03-09-13, 03:15 PM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post

Isn't it a way of living rather than an active war activity?
Yeah, war and life is the same thing.. The way you conduct your life is the same way you conduct your war.. Because living is war.
Old 03-09-13, 03:20 PM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinker96 View Post
Theory: When you sit on your butt

practice: When you get off your butt

questions????
Hahaha
Old 03-09-13, 03:23 PM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekone View Post
does anyone actually practice this philosophy? it seems like a lot of people read it and talk about it but not many do it...
It takes strong self-control to use the philosophy of the art of war
Without discipline it is impossible
Old 08-10-13, 12:51 PM

I utilize this philosophy every day, both in my workplace (I work for the American Cancer Society) and in my work as a theologian. Most frequently I'm using ideas in AOW in conflict resolution (overcoming aggression). It's been extremely helpful to me.
Old 08-13-13, 03:20 PM
Subscriber*

Hi Scourgicus,

Welcome! Once you realize "The Art of War" is actually "The Art of Conflict" you can see more uses for it. I am so happy you realized this and are able to help people at your job who really need it. Cancer is much like War in that it is hard not to know someone touched by it. It is something we cannot ignore and like it or not we are all a part of that conflict. Hats off to you my friend and I would be interested to hear more about how you use the AoW or how you would like to in the future.

Thanks,

Haz

~Einstein