Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Sun Tzu Art of War Explained > Two: Doing Battle

Old 06-24-09, 01:55 PM
Sun Tzu Student

Default Re: 02.001 Generally, the requirements of warfare are this way...

Quote:
Originally posted by sonshi
Generally, the requirements of warfare are this way: One thousand quick four-horse chariots, one thousand leather rideable chariots, one hundred thousand belted armor, transporting provisions one thousand li, the distribution of internal and on the field spending, the efforts of having guests, materials such as glue and lacquer, tributes in chariots and armor, will amount to expenses of a thousand gold pieces a day.
The terms don't mean much now. But this is a good reminder to do your cost calculations before entering into an endevour.

The Telus company had a strike in Alberta and a lock out in British Columbia. Here is what I gathered from the news reports. The union paid its members $1,000 a month. It told the members to expect a nine or ten month job action. The members voted to return to work after five months and accept an imposed contract but I am not sure that the union would have survived much longer. The union revealed that it had taken out substantial loans to support the action. They might have been absorbed by another union in order keep funding the job action. In my opinion they acted irresponsibley by telling the members to expect a long campaign when they were not able to sustain the expense. A long campaign was necessary to achieve thier goal. Instead they got a short campaign that was inefective. Better to have done the calculations and told the members, if you vote to strike you'll get $100 a week and expect 10 months of this - or not to have fought it at all.

After the job action the employer also gave out some information to the media. It seemed to me that they knew how much the action was costing them, how long they expected it to last, and how much they had in their 'war chest.' (hiring strike breakers/security/private investigators/flying staff in from elswhere/ overtime/ shifting work East and overseas/etc..) The employer had obviously done their calculations and understood the financial situation much better than the union even though theirs was a much more complicated position.

I wonder if President Bush had any accountants in his planning sessions for OIF?
Old 08-06-09, 07:10 AM

This passage brings the following quote to mind:

"Amateurs study tactics, experts study strategy, and professionals study logistics."*

*[I forgot who said this (besides me); if anybody can attribute this quote, please PM me!]
Old 01-26-11, 08:14 PM

Generally, the requirements of warfare are this way: One thousand quick four-horse chariots, one thousand leather rideable chariots, one hundred thousand belted armor, transporting provisions one thousand li, the distribution of internal and on the field spending, the efforts of having guests, materials such as glue and lacquer, tributes in chariots and armor, will amount to expenses of a thousand gold pieces a day.

Conducting war is a very very costly ordeal.
Old 03-04-12, 06:27 PM
Dedicated Sun Tzu Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
Conducting war is a very very costly ordeal.
Indeed it is. In money and most importantly, LIVES.

That's why it should be avoided whenever possible and completely thought through and calculated before entering into it...
Old 03-10-13, 09:19 AM
My teacup's overflowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonshi View Post
War is like a car

It needs gas

And other maintenance

Always consider them.. If you run out of them you will have a big hole to cover

I doubt it if you still can cover it. The enemy will instantly put a stent in it so he can enter your hole continuously

Speed is the SECOND consideration after you have surrendered your form to darkness