Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Sun Tzu & Strategy Discussions

Old 03-24-13, 05:59 PM

"I had a discussion with a co-worker and i tried to get her into the AOW and she said "isn't it hard and stressful to always be ON" and i replied "no its hard and stressful full to be OFF""

You make a choice in life to be either a victim or one who has some control over your life.
I don't want things happening in my life that degrade the happiness of my family and myself. For sure i can't prevent everything but much i can control, so i should do what i can.
Complaint is not a conversation but many people think it is and this negative state has a price on outcomes and our health.
Today i will go to work with some people who will complain about their lives and do nothing about it , in part it is sad in that the negative energy drags others down.

Do they have a notion of how free they actually are and what they can do?
No. pity is they don't want to believe.
Old 09-21-13, 11:12 AM

I learned about the concept of 'shih'.
The right moment and the right place to do something. About knowing the configuration of elements and timing.
Sun Tzu learned me that sometimes it's better to be slow, and sometimes it's good to be very fast. You must learn to recognize when to do x and when to do the opposite of x. x is not good nor bad. It depends on the configuration.
And to become trained in recognizing 'shih' and disciplined in using the right moment.
Knowing when not to act and when to wait.

This means that we must become very flexible. Master our emotions.

I also learned about how to get energy and when you must rest.

i never heared about these concepts before. The concept of shih, which only exists in the moment, and you must be able to recognize it from your position, was new for me.
I see examples, every day. And I'm training myself in being disciplined in using the knowledge of when to act and when not to act. That's not easy at all. it's selfdiscipline.

Thank you master Sun Tzu.
Old 09-23-13, 05:33 AM

"The concept of shih, which only exists in the moment, and you must be able to recognize it from your position, was new for me."

This stuff is big and what it is all about.
I work with people some whom have no clue on this.
My wife doesn't get it either , although i try to explain, she just doesn't think in these terms.
once you get beyond the emotional stuff it is easy, easier.
The right moment is just that and may pass quickly, so you need to ready to move and act.

I waited for ten years for the right moment in a personal battle , never knowing if the moment would come but thought if it did i must be waiting to act.
Events changed and the moment came , being prepared was a blessing and the blow was delivered .
In some ways the length of time was too great and i should have given up but didn't because there was much to gain.
Often it is a case of doing nothing or appearing to do nothing, always you are doing something however even if it is resting / thinking.

To do this well gives you respect for yourself.
Old 09-24-13, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
The right moment is just that and may pass quickly, so you need to be ready to move and act.
I'm not an expert in 'shih', but I think that's true.

But it's also about positioning yourself.

In AoW of The English Denma Translation Group on page 73 there are texts of the English Confucian Hsün Tzu (310-220):

There is a plant in the Western regions called the blackberry lily. Its stem is four inches long, but because it grows atop tall mountains, it looks down into a thousand foot abyss.

or

"If you yell downwind, it's not that the sound gets swifter, but it's heard more clearly"

If we take advantage of certain qualities of the environement, or power greatly increases.
(AoW, Sun Tzu, Demma Translation Group).

So, that's what I understand, when using 'shih'.
It's not just about 'waiting', but repositioning yourself, so you can make advantage of the changing configuration of things. Because of this variations in the configuration, 'shih' exists only moment to moment.
Old 09-24-13, 11:55 PM
Sun Tzu Student

It's helped kill quite a few hours that would otherwise risk being quite boring.
Old 10-12-13, 04:22 AM

It has helped me find a peaceful life, fewer things go wrong because i think now.