Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War  

Go Back   Sonshi Forum: Largest Message Board for Sun Tzu's Art of War > Sun Tzu & Strategy Discussions

Old 05-06-09, 12:46 PM

Default Applying The Art Of War

Does anyone think it's possible to apply The Art Of War to anything in life.I have a friend in the middle of trying to quit drugs and I was thinking about recomending it to him.I mean, drug addiction is a war in it self.Whats anyones opinion.
Old 05-06-09, 02:48 PM
Atreides
Unregistered

Hi,

Cardinal999 wrote this a couple of days ago so he probably wouldn't want to type it out twice...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal999
Regardless of where you are at, always understand your destination and know what are the standards to get there.

Assess the grand settings between you and your "ex" .
Define what are the gain points between each parties.
Delineate the strategic advantages of each party.
The rest is in the AoW book.

Then build the foundation of the plan based on your assessment. The AoW defines the strategic guidelines quite well.

Get a version of the AoW that matches your mind set. There are many good translations (Ames, Mair, Minford, Sawyer, Sonshi, etc.)

It is very important to "assess the grand settings" and "develop a plan without any emotions."

In order to succeed in an outcome-driven society, one must focus on their process by using the AoW as a foundation.
Change the word "ex" with drug problem.

Sun Tzu said,"...This being so, to remain in ignorance of the enemy's condition simply because one grudges the outlay of a hundred ounces of silver in honors and emoluments, is the height of inhumanity."

In other words, Get a professional to make an assessment.

Sun Tzu said, "Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

Help him, help himself. Look for a series of small victories. Don't let any one battle decide the war.

Good luck.

Thanks again, Atreides

P.S. Most of the time I use the Giles AOW to post on the threads. Most of the other folks are still alive and make their living from their work....
Old 05-06-09, 06:39 PM
Sonshi-given title: Quite possibly the most intelligent, perceptive person in the room

Hi chrisgore2112,

The Art of War lays out the framework for a person to develop and meet realistic goals, but I think your friend should first read, "Choice Theory: A New Psychology of Personal Freedom" by Dr. Glasser.

My reason for the order of recommendation is that it will help put your friend's situation into perspective, thus help them use the Art of War more to their benefit.

Here is a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Choice-Theory-.../dp/0060930144
Old 05-07-09, 12:52 AM
Rabid Member Award

It's all nice and fancy to turn to some mystic, ancient book of war for advice, isn't it? It seems to hold power and authority, doesn't it? It must surely work!

*sarcasm*

Your friend needs help from qualified, practicing professionals whose entire lives have been devoted to the cause of freeing people from their addictions. What you're doing is akin to using your hands to build a car when there are tools specifically designed to improve speed, power, and effectiveness.

The Art of War is going to be more useful for you to aid you in finding ways to get your friend into rehab and therapy. A book like Dragon suggested would be much better and on topic, dealing directly with his issues as opposed to expecting him to apply war principles through analogy to his situation. Sure, he may benefit from the AoW, there's no reason not to give him the book, but don't be so shortsighted as to think that it can substitute for real help from a doctor or that it would be better than a book on the subject of addiction.
Old 05-07-09, 08:58 AM
Atreides
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishfood
It's all nice and fancy to turn to some mystic, ancient book of war for advice, isn't it? It seems to hold power and authority, doesn't it? It must surely work!

*sarcasm*
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. I think Dragon has a good approach and helping a person to help him/herself is the way to go.

A doctor friend of mine said, "I can't care for a patient more than they care for themselves."

Remember that Smokey the Bear add? "Only you can prevent forest fires." The same applies to helping people. People need to pull the weight that they can and this will help the people trying to help them.

Another counselor friend of mine gave me this advice to raise my kid. "Teach them to do things and try to do the things by themselves. If they can't do it after they have tried, tell them that it is okay to ask for help."

The fact that chrisgore2112 came here to look for advice to help his friend is proof that he is a good friend.

Thanks again, Atreides
Old 05-07-09, 09:14 AM
Rabid Member Award

Default Hello chrisgore2112

Quiting smoking is harder then quiting drugs in the form of cocaine or heroine.

Sigarettes are researched and optimised for addiction by highly educated people while cocaine and heroine is crudely prossesed by peasants.

Have you used drugs?
Old 05-07-09, 09:25 AM
Rabid Member Award

Atreides,

Thanks for letting me know that the use of sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Old 05-07-09, 10:11 AM
Rabid Member Award

Default Drugs

Problem with drugs is that most people can't afford the (quality) stuff.

But if you can afford it, keep eating your vitamins, use clean needles and take care of personal hygiene you can live to the ripe old age of 60 or 70 or so.
Hell, you may even become a famaous rolling rockstar playing the gee-tar.
Old 05-07-09, 01:51 PM
Atreides
Unregistered

Hi Fishfood,

Quote:
Atreides,

Thanks for letting me know that the use of sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:"

That was not the time for sarcasm...

Just a thought,

Atreides
Old 05-08-09, 03:19 AM
Rabid Member Award

Atreides,

Please continue to monitor which rhetorical devices I use and let me know when they are and are not appropriate so that I might, at least some day, be as perfect as you.
Old 05-08-09, 03:40 AM
Atreides
Unregistered

Hi,

Just trying to help...

Thanks again, Atreides
Old 05-12-09, 02:28 PM

Default AoW can be applied almost anything

The brilliant aspect of AoW is the fact that it helps you make decisions and life is full of decision.

Therefore, it can be applied to almost anything as the logic is so sound and good logic can be applied to all.
Old 05-12-09, 02:51 PM
Sonshi-given title: Quite possibly the most intelligent, perceptive person in the room

Welcome to Sonshi.com Adrian!

Great point on connecting the Art of War to decision making. Sun Tzu teaches one how to choose realistic goals and make better decisions towards them.

Regards
Old 05-13-09, 10:24 AM
Cardinal999
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Atreides
Hi,
CARDINAL999 wrote this a couple of days ago so he probably wouldn't want to type it out twice...
I did not think anyone ever read my writings.

Quote:
Change the word "ex" with drug problem.

Sun Tzu said,"...This being so, to remain in ignorance of the enemy's condition simply because one grudges the outlay of a hundred ounces of silver in honors and emoluments, is the height of inhumanity."

In other words, Get a professional to make an assessment.

Sun Tzu said, "Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

Help him, help himself. Look for a series of small victories. Don't let any one battle decide the war.
Some ppl. can use the AoW to tell their audience what to do. Not many are good enough to tell them the specifics for resolving their dilemma.

It is a rarity that ppl have the objectivity to assess themselves properly.

Quote:
P.S. Most of the time I use the Giles AOW to post on the threads. Most of the other folks are still alive and make their living from their work.... [/B]
Try to credit the translator.

Quote:

*sarcasm*

Your friend needs help from qualified, practicing professionals whose entire lives have been devoted to the cause of freeing people from their addictions. What you're doing is akin to using your hands to build a car when there are tools specifically designed to improve speed, power, and effectiveness.

The Art of War is going to be more useful for you to aid you in finding ways to get your friend into rehab and therapy. A book like Dragon suggested would be much better and on topic, dealing directly with his issues as opposed to expecting him to apply war principles through analogy to his situation. Sure, he may benefit from the AoW,
The AoW is a book. No mystic crap. No magic. It is just a book with directional guidelines. Those who emphasizes that it is a book that does everything. Avoid them. Run away from them.

However, I have known a rare few who used the AoW as a general directional guide to get to the next level of solving their personal challenges.

Some people prefer the Bible or the DDJ as their kitchen-sink solution. I have seen ppl use the yi-jing. as their tool for all resolution.

Conclusively, different solutions for different people. The approach for choosing the proper resolution is depended on that person's state of mind, their current state of resources and their list of priorities. Not everyone can afford a shrink or have time for a therapy session.

As mentioned before, reading AoW is a general foundational move.
Old 05-22-09, 10:37 AM

Default quitting addiction

I know I am philosophical by nature:
I recommend "the Greatest Salesmen in the World by Og Mandino
It has specific applicable strategies that help people overcome addictions and compulsions.
The book is far more than a Sales book-- it is much more a book of personal strategies to enrich ones life.
I can honestly say this is among the top two best books I have ever read.
I still to this day read it and try to apply its strategies everyday.
It is a book for the ages and expands your outlook about life, and people.
It i written with love.